Tuesday 4 February 2014

January Wrap Up

Hello There!
I am terribly sorry, yet again, for not being able to post a lot on my blog. Gah, unfortunately I have my GCSE's in 12 weeks and needed to sort some things out due to it. But now, I am hoping to atleast upload weekly and maybe even twice a week but that will be rare thanks to these stupid exams *insert sigh*

I decided to post a "January Wrap Up" as I read a lot of books this month but giving each book a seperate in-depth review would take too long thus, I decided to review all of them in one simple post.

I also would like to warn you guys that all the books I am going to review are all ARCs and may contain some spoilers!


When Jenny has the opportunity to spend the summer with her sister, a small slice of freedom is all she's really hoping for when she has the opportunity to spend the summer with her sister. Instead she finds something else altogether: electricity. 

That's what Jenny feels when she looks at Arram. She knows he’s drawn to her too, but the mage-in-training does his best to hide it.

Stung, Jenny turns to Arram's former best friend, Jack. But Arram and Jack's rivalry is much darker than Jenny suspects, and so are Jack's intentions. Soon she's caught in a mystery of old murder, ancient prophecies, and magic hidden where no one has thought to look. 

When Jenny uncovers a secret magic, she is offered two choices. Arram wants her to do the safe thing. Jack wants to show her the easy way out. Whatever Jenny decides, her life will irrevocably change. 

Either way, freedom may be the one thing Jenny can never have.


Review:
Urgh, this book was basically like dreaming about eating steak and chips for the whole day and coming back home to a cheese sandwich. It wasn't what you expected, but, it was satisfying. At some points it dragged so much that I just had to skip a few chapters whilst some bits were so good I had to read on. It was such a confusing book. Jenny, the main character, was also a very confusing and, quite frankly, boring character. The author tried to make her this cutesy, ditsy Bella-like character *internally vomits* but the main character just ended up looking stupid and it was frustrating trying to connect with her. And guess what guys? There was a love triangle:


I shall ask this again; why do authors feel the need to put in a love triangle into their stories when it clearly does not need it??? I think that's what pissed me off the most however, the love triangle. The bloody, overdone and dissatisfying love triangle.


All in all I would give this book 5/10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


For centuries, the Furies have lived among us. Long ago they were called witches and massacred by the thousands. But they’re human just like us, except for a rare genetic mutation that they’ve hidden from the rest of the world for hundreds of years.



Now, a chance encounter with a beautiful woman named Ariel has led John Rogers into the middle of a secret war among the Furies. Ariel needs John’s help in the battle between a rebellious faction of the clan and their elders. The grand prize in this war is a chance to remake the human race.

For fans of Michael Crichton, Justin Cronin, and Stephen King, The Furies weaves cutting-edge science into an ingenious thriller, showing how a simple genetic twist could have inspired tales of witchcraft and sorcery, and how the paranormal could indeed be possible.




Review:
This was one of the baddest written and plotted books I have read in a while with dreadful characterization. I was expecting so much from this book as the cover is absolutely beautiful. Just look at it. It oozes mystery and adventure. But no, this book was yet another let down. John Rogers is a man who was just in New York for a job when he suddenly met a beautiful red-haired woman who "picked him" to be the person who gets her pregnant. Is it just me, or does this sound like a crappy B-movie? The characters as well were just a load of absolute bull. It was as if the author was trying to write it from a birds eye view, but in the end, it made me not connect with the characters and feel like an outsider, quite uncomfortably, looking in. Just, all in all, I detested this book and is by far the worst book I have read this year so far. Sorry Mark. I would rate this book 1.5/10 (and thats me being nice).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

United They Stand.

Seventeen years ago an entire generation of aliens were sent to Earth in order to save their home planet and integrate into the human population. Now, those aliens are being hunted.

Amery Jones is your typical teenager, except for the fact she is an alien and a member of the government’s secret Project Integrate.

When Amery’s best friend Lola is kidnapped in order to get to her, there is only one person that can help – the exceedingly annoying and charming Lochie Mercury.

Together, Amery and Lochie must put aside their differences and attraction in order to rescue Lola before it’s too late




Review:
This is the only book I actually enjoyed! Hurray! I normally do not like the whole alien-going-to-earth-for-sanctuary thing, especially as I Am Number Four didn't live up to my expectations. However, I did find this book entertaining as the plot of the whole alien main character, Amery, was a loose one so the story didn't revolve around her alien self. But, that could also be seen as a negative. The storyline of her being an alien felt like it was just thrown in their to make it more of an interesting read rather than because that was what the author was planning on doing all along. The book also had its fair shares of cliches such as; the girl was gorgeous, she had a popular hot jock *rolls eyes* fall in love with her, and some of the phrases that were used were so frustratingly done but, it wasn't to the point where I wanted to throw my laptop at the wall (which is a plus seeing as most of my book reviews have been negative). I did, also, like the idea of their being a private secret agent protecting the aliens from the humans and them suddenly going rogue. I think though, if the writer used that more as a storyline rather than her being an alien and the ups and downs due to it, it would have been of a more interesting read.
Overall I give this book a 6.5/10
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The sizzling conclusion to the Wolf Springs trilogy.
Who do you run to?



Out in the forest, tensions are blazing like forest fire. The ancient rivalry between the Fenner and Gaudin packs has reached fever pitch, and only a battle will quell the blood lust.

Katelyn is caught in the middle, her pack loyalties tested like never before. The person she needs the most – strong, sexy, loyal Trick – has no idea about her dark secrets. And while werewolf wars are raging, the Hellhound is still out there, stalking her every move. 
It’s time to take control. It’s time to get savage.




Review:
I had mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, I thought the author did the whole wolf concept really nicely, you can tell she did her research. I was hoping for however, the whole mating concept to be put into the storyline but alas, did not happen. I have read really good Wattpad werewolf books but unfortunately did not meet to that standard. It just didn't have that...oomph that books need to distinguish themselves from other books. I also did not realise that this book was the third book in a trilogy as the book did have a prologue and backtracked a lot so the book was really well written, just didn't have the plot to back it up. Overall I would give this book a 5.5/10

So there ya go, I thought I had read more books than that but alas, did not happen.

Sorry for the lack of posts yet again guys!
Annie x


No comments:

Post a Comment