Tuesday 1 April 2014

Top Ten "Gateway" Books/Authors In My Reading Journey

Hello There!
This post is quite late when it comes to the fact that right now its 8:18 and I normally upload my posts way before 6 but due to the fact that here in England our clock was changed to an hour before, I am dead. As in knackered. I was just going to not do this post and make an excuse later but I LOVE this post idea and I have one particular "gateway author" in mind. I am going to cheat a little bit and focus on one author rather than ten for now because for the life of me I cannot think of three let alone ten authors/books! Before I forget, this meme was created by The Broke and The Bookish

What is a gateway author?

A gateway author is an author that got you either into a specific genre or reading as a whole.

I don't remember what the first ever book was that got me into reading. I remember several that made me want to go to my school library and binge borrow and some I remember reading since I was the age of five. One particular book that really got to me was Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George.

Holy mother of all things good - Dragon Slippers. I cannot explain to you the feels I get when these two word are mentioned. I remember getting pulled out of lessons (which was a massive thing back in the day and I also remember everyone groaning and telling me I was lucky) and the librarian (who was my most favourite person in that school) telling me that everyone who was a part of the school council were allowed to get out of English lessons to read and maybe even review. 

Back then, I don't remember having an immense amount of love for books so I just shrugged and walked with her to the hall where we would proceed to read the books chosen for us by teachers in silence. And it was heaven. Back then, my librarian had a small, and I mean small, room which was adorably full of books and book-based posters. She swiftly nudged me towards her room the same way Cedric Diggory (sp?) was pushed towards the Goblet of Fire with anticipation from friends and applause.  She stood there eyeing my approach to the door/room. She knew I had potential in the sense of being obsessed with books, I just wasn't exactly there. Again, I wasn't so into books back then and my fellow peers had already picked the books they wanted, even if it was quite begrudgingly. I took a quick look at the small pile of books and sighed. There wasn't anything that interested me.

Then, like it was fate, whilst I was looking through the books, a book fell to my feet. And yes, it was Dragon Slippers. The cover was this bright greeny/yellow, with the most beautiful intricate design. It was also 3D and as I stroked the cover I felt ever little pattern on the title. The slippers were also 3D and felt like what a dragon's skin would feel like. Without realising it, I fell in love.

Now this is the hard bit, explaining why it got me into reading. To simplify it, it just did. I loved the main character's sassiness and love for embroidery and dresses and wanting independence (which was unheard of back in the Victorian era which this book was presumably based on). I loved the intro about her uncle and aunty used her to lure the prince in to falling in love with her and carry her away to his castle and shower the family with gold. That obviously didn't happen. I loved the way the dragons were described and the different, sometimes clashing, personalities. I loved the simple yet beautiful plotline...I just, I just loved it all.

I was the only one who bothered to read their chosen books as I sat there on the stage engrossed in my book. My fellow peers didn't enjoy it as much though, they sat around giggling and ranting about how they were made to read and even looking at me and giving me weird looks because I was actually reading - the thought! I would have normally felt really self conscious and would have pretended that I didn't enjoy this magnificent book but I was entranced with it so much so I didn't give a crap!
Also, due to the project being declared "unsuccessful" after a few weeks, I had to give the book back which was heart wrenching. I wasn't able to finish the book and so badly wanted to finish it. My amazing librarian however slipped the book to me and winked, basically telling me that I can take the book and read it to my hearts content. I still have this book now. Yes, its bloody battered and yes, I could have brought another one (but didn't have to as another edition of the book was gifted to me by Abby) but it's not the same and it definitely wouldn't have felt the same.

Guys, I would definitely recommend this book and every time a friend asks for a recommendation, I always mention this book just because it is so bloody underrated! 

I have tried to find the sequels in that exact book cover edition but I can't find it to save my life! The other option is of this tacky cartoon like cover and I sure as hell will not be buying it in that format. Please guys, if you find the sequels in this cover then let me know because I need it in my life!

What book got you guys reading? Have you read Dragon Slippers?

Annie x






No comments:

Post a Comment